2011年3月27日 星期日

Finding the right scratch pad for your feline friend requires a bit of research

My dog didn't eat my homework; my cat did. This sounds like a bad punchline, but in my home it's just daily life. Dim Sum, my cat, is the house boss. My kids think Dim Sum's a brat. That may be. Every home has one. I used to occasionally get ticked at her antics, but things changed a few months ago. Since the death of my male cat, Rainbow, Dim Sum drives us all around the bend. Who can blame her? I think she's lonely.

Canadian cat whisperer Dr. Susan Little noted that some cats often tolerate other animals, but most don't necessarily need them. Other experts don't think animals express emotion at all; they're concerned when we humanize them.

In this case, however, it makes sense that Dim Sum would miss a playmate.

They'd been together since birth. Every day, they'd have a fun fight and run around the home. They were like little kids playing tag. Each evening you'd see them cleaning each other for what seemed like hours (to the point where you'd think you were intruding). In essence, it's all they knew.

Now, my fuzzy feline follows me around the house. Dim Sum plunks herself on top of my computer in what I can only imagine is a ploy to have me order better cat food. When this kitty doesn't get the amount of attention desired, she'll even shred paper with her teeth.

Recently, my daughter had to redo a paper she'd written for school. Dim Sum destroyed it. She even chewed one of my bills beyond recognition (the cat, not my daughter, that is). Admittedly, this mishap didn't make me mad. It gave me a legitimate excuse to delay a payment. Believe it or not, few companies get the excuse "my cat ate the bill."

One hopes this is a situation that can be solved by better paper organization and more cuddle sessions. But there's something else my cat does that's more difficult to change: she scratches my furniture.

While my feline now scratches more, it can't be blamed solely on loneliness. Cats need to scratch. It's a habit both domesticated and wild cats share.

The act helps sharpen nails, as well as allowing the animal to stretch. Some believe it relieves stress. In the wild, they scratch on trees or the ground, but many cities have bylaws that require urban cats stay inside. This means that they have little recourse but to find an inside outlet.

In my home, that outlet is the arm of my leather couch.

Like other cat owners, I've invested in an array of devices to lure my kitty. The last one was an ugly carpeted pole that went from floor to ceiling. It looks like someone trying to conceal an out-ofcommission stripper pole. My cat found it equally distasteful.

One website, catchannel. com, had some great tips on how owners should choose an outlet for scratching.

The best suggestion was to ask owners to watch their cats as they scratch.

It's something most of us don't consider. Cats have their own preference. The suggestion is that some like to scratch vertically while others enjoy a horizontal stretch.

This simple piece of advice explains why carpet and arms of chairs are now my cat's favourite toys.

Aside from the benefit of improved knowledge of your cat's preferences, this observational task will prevent you from spending $200 on an item that will attract little more than dust and embarrassing questions by nosy household visitors.

The website also suggested that owners should experiment with both texture and type of scratch pad before they buy.

Items such as carpet, rope and cardboard are popular in the feline scratching-post world; cats might have preferences on what to scratch, too.

Sturdiness is another scratch pad feature owners should consider. Felines seem apathetic to scratch aids that wobble or shift.

There is one idea that won't appeal to many owners. It's called the "sacrificial chair" and it's exactly what you'd think it is. Owners allow a cat to destroy one piece of furniture.

In reality, it's a white flag to the feline world: you win, cat, enjoy the spoils.

My cat, when she's not destroying household paper, appears to like those RUBBER MATS-backed prickly outdoor mats. They come in decor-friendly colours and are heavy enough to withstand attempted destruction.

I now have them littered all over my home in the hopes that this new experiment works. And they offer an added bonus to humans: a free pedicure.

Pet loss is never easy for owners. It seems animals may experience the same sadness. Hopefully, extra attention and new carpets will protect my couch.

Maybe it'll also help my cat adapt to the loss of her furry buddy in her daily life.

沒有留言:

張貼留言