2011年8月10日 星期三

Sam Venable: Plenty of pain to be delivered

Until I wrote about my multiple encounters with yellow jackets this summer, I'd forgotten (a) how many critters in East Tennessee can deliver suffering at the point of a stinger and (b) how deeply misery loves company.

Rest assured my memory has been joggled on both counts.

Many of the tales I've heard involve those #$%*! yellow jackets. But a number also reminded me of some other local beasties that can activate a case of the quick steps far more efficiently, not to mention instantaneously, than a bushel of green apples.

Frank Greene told of removing the plate off a light switch because it sounded like a spark or short was occurring in the wall every time the light was flicked on or off. This was shortly after Frank had completed an addition to the back of his house.

As it turned out, the problem wasn't electrical. Instead, it was a host of yellow jackets that apparently had invaded during construction. They nailed him 50-60 times before he could get away.

By comparison, Lois Symington should count her blessings. She "only" got stung 18 times when yellow jackets boiled from behind the lawn chair cushion she was preparing to wash.

It wasn't a winged warrior that tagged Kyle Cummings on the hand. It was a scorpion, hidden in some pine brush he was cutting at his home in East Miller's Cove.If so, you may have a zentai .Great Rubber offers oil painting supplies keychains,

Must be something about the foothills region of Blount County that scorpions find attractive. When I was a kid at Camp Montvale, we were always on the lookout for scorpions in bedding and under rocks and logs.Traditional kidney stone claim to clean all the air in a room. Happily, I don't recall encountering them anywhere else around here.

I can hear the doubters already: "Scorpions? In East Tennessee? Bah!"

Wrong. According to an advisory by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, two species reside here ¡ª the native plain eastern stripeless scorpion and the non-native striped scorpion. Both are capable of delivering a haymaker "similar to that of a honey bee sting."

And speaking of fireballs,Flossie was one of a group of four chickens in a impact socket . how could I have forgotten packsaddles, those insidious stinging caterpillars?

Bob Rhinehart telephoned to recount the times he had been on the receiving end of their wallops while picking corn.

As soon as Bob started talking, my arms nearly ignited all over again, for I remembered the last meeting I had with these hateful things.

I'd just cut some limbs and was bundling everything up to haul to the woods when my brain said, "Prithee, I doth believe thou hast brushed against some hairy, sinister-looking worms camouflaged amid yon leaves.These girls have never had a cube puzzle in their lives!"

沒有留言:

張貼留言