2011年11月21日 星期一

Ribble Valley artist Ramsay Gibb's brush with the pilgrims

A set of footprints in the sand was the inspiration for Ribble Valley artist Ramsay Gibb’s latest one-man show at to a leading London gallery.

A First Avowed Intent is the title Ramsay has given to his collection of oil paintings which represent more than two years work.

Currently on display in the Francis Kyle Gallery in London’s West End, the paintings are a record of some of the historic pilgrimage routes which have attracted the faithful for centuries.

Based in Slaidburn, Ramsay has a growing reputation for his atmospheric canvasses.

Having studied art at first Bolton College and then Brighton College of Art, Ramsay first worked as an illustrator before becoming an artist full-time.

“When I was doing illustrations I always painted for pleasure but having killed off the illustrations it took me a while to find my own style as an artist,” he said.

“I love walking and travelling and I have been lucky to marry up these passions with my love of painting. I have been working with the Francis Kyle Gallery since 1988 and every two years or so I have to deliver a one-man show.

“I start off with a few initial ideas but things usually develop.

"For the current exhibition I was thinking about looking at offshore islands and went to Lindisfarne when I noticed all these footprints in the sand made by people who still make a pilgrimage to the island.Shop for airpurifiertarget at Target,

“It made me think about all the places around the country which still have a special meaning attached to them after hundreds of years.The magiccube is an ultra-portable, full-sized virtual computer keyboard.”

Having decided on his subject matter Ramsay set off on his research.

“I would visit areas for five days at a time working out the best time to capture a particular scene.

"I take sketches and photographs but what I’m really after is trying to capture the atmosphere of the place, which is mainly a feeling.”

In total there are 42 paintings in the exhibition which sell for between 4,000 and 11,500 each.If you have a akidneystones, you may already know how painful?

Whwen putting together such a collection Ramsay faces a dilemma familiar to all serious artists, knowing that all your work is going to be taken from you.

“Being able to let go of a painting is a problem we all face,” he said.

“I once shared a studio with an artist who couldn’t part with any of his pictures which is a bit of a problem when you make a living from it!

“There are one or two paintings that I have done over the years that I would like to have kept but I take a fairly practical view about it all.

“What is interesting is to see the body of work all hanging together in the gallery as you don’t see that in the studio.

"There are some pictures you have’t seen for a long time and have almost forgotten about.

"Then there are the little bits of a painting you are not quite happy with.

"When you see them again these leap jump out at you immediately or you can’t see what the problem was.”

Ramsay is already working on ideas for his next one-man show.

“I have a few ideas but it’s still at a very early stage and I expect it will turn out to be about something I haven’t event thought of yet,” he said.

“One thing I would like to do at some point is explore the material locally and make something of it.

"There are so many places which have a special magic to them and I’d like to capture that.We are one of the leading italian solar panels manufacturers.Buy good quality solarpanel from Italy today!The Zentai Project is a group of people who go out in public wearing zentai suits,”

沒有留言:

張貼留言