2012年2月19日 星期日

The invisible industrial hands of the pattern maker

In the old Polaroid photos,Specialized of injection mold, plasticmoulds, my father stands next to a large circular mold on the floor of the pattern shop of U.S. Steel in Johnstown. He and a fellow pattern maker, both dressed in work shirts and shop aprons, are dwarfed by the size of the pattern that would soon be cast in steel and go on to become part of an industrial machine used in the mill, or one of many steel mills throughout the United States.

For this particular project, my father was the inspector, or "checker," the person responsible for insuring the patterns were made correctly and to exact specifications. After each inspection, a black-and-white photo, like the one I keep in my desk, was taken of the successful mold to file away.Specialized of injection mold, plasticmoulds,

For over 30 years, my father made his living as a pattern maker. He loved this exclusive and somewhat mysterious industrial trade that involved a unique mix of art and science.

As a kid,November, 2011 by injectionmoldes. each day when his lunch bucket clanged onto the Formica kitchen table, announcing his return from the mill at 3 p.m., I scarcely understood what it was that put the sirloin or salmon cakes on the table for dinner each night. I didn't comprehend much about what my father did hovering over algebraic sums and blueprints that he mentioned were scattered on his pattern shop desk at the mill.

When I tell people what my dad did for a living, I often get blank stares, or the impression that the person believes my father worked in textiles or sewing. Unless of course I'm talking to a former mill worker. Often they'll squint their eyes at me and say things like, Oh, it's not easy to be a pattern maker ... One time an elderly neighbor on a Johnstown porch added cryptically: You have to see things no one else sees,Hobby Silicone for mold making moldmaking , referring to the need for the pattern maker to visualize in three dimensions what is only represented in mechanical designs on paper.

This is a job where the craftsman must be content to give birth to a precision project -- filled with laborious measurement,We offer custom plasticinjectionmoulding with full in-house tool making and tool maintenance. geometry and art -- that he will likely never see in its ultimate finished form. It is these rich metaphors and details of the trade -- one that requires such a duality in the right and left brains of the worker -- that has become a catalyst of inspiration for a book of poetry set in my home city of Johnstown.

The nexus of pattern making was that it was an "inside job." The artisan created replicas of future objects in molds -- the exact interior of what would be cast to become a machine part or other steel object.

It's always been difficult to describe the pattern maker's trade and its origins. According to "A History of the Pattern Maker's Society," a document created in Britain at the turn of the century, it "cannot claim pure descent from any particular type of craftsman. A forerunner to the pattern maker could have been the millwright, but that craftsman was father to numerous other tradesman." It is related to the blacksmith, but more varied. In metalsmithing, it could be compared in some respects to the process of "lost-wax casting." It also took a certain perceptual vision and artist's eye. You had to be good at math, but also highly skilled as a woodworker to do the work.

As I wrote many poems influenced by the steel city landscape of Johnstown and this blue-collar trade, I peppered my father with more questions. I wanted to know more about a job that involved painstaking work that would be cast aside for a new, fresh metamorphosis.

沒有留言:

張貼留言