2012年4月8日 星期日

Antichamber broke my brain, and I’m okay with that

At PAX East, I played a fascinating indie title for the PC called Antichamber. I had never heard of it before I walked out onto the show floor, but was instantly captivated by what I played. Developed solely by Alexander Bruce, Antichamber is a first-person puzzle game, not unlike Portal, that has you navigating through clean, white, cel-shaded environments with selective use of color. You don’t have any kind of weapon, at least in the part that I played, and that is perfectly fine by me. A click of the mouse acts simply as an action button to make simple selections.

The demo starts you out in a four-walled room with your exit directly in front of you, but through glass. One wall has the simple control setup displayed for you, and another wall has a room select for when you return later. And trust me, you will. Over and over again. The final wall leads to a path to begin your mind-bending journey through this bizarre game.

You’ll come across room after room, each one with different goals and outcomes. Sometimes you have to cross a gap, other times you are required to move slowly, occasionally you have to just turn around. The walls provide vague clues as to how to approach the next room, and thankfully they’re vague enough that your brain must be fully cranked up in order to progress. I approached one room with a set of red stairs going down, and blue stairs going up, with a clue asking whether or not my choice mattered if the outcome was the same. Lo and behold, whichever set of stairs I chose to take, I ended up right back where I started. So what did I do? I turned right back around, which had me not backtrack to where I was, but move somewhere else entirely. Yep, it’s that kind of game.

The more I played, the more I realized the game never gave me what I expected. Typically, when something throws predictability out the window, you start to predict the unpredictable. Not with Antichamber.Silicone moldmaking Rubber, Every time the game didn’t give me what I thought I would get, I was shocked at what the outcome was. I never died in my playthrough.The beddinges sofa bed slipcover is a good ,Our porcelaintiles are perfect for entryways or bigger spaces and can also be used outside, A massive fall only lands you in a brand new area. Huge gaps sometimes form a path across only if you try to fall. Sometimes they don’t. Rooms don’t always take you where you expect, and clues don’t always help.Aeroscout rtls provides a complete solution for wireless asset tracking. You can’t trust anything in this game, but you still must if you want to move along.GOpromos offers a wide selection of promotional items and personalized gifts. Your brain feels like it’s being pulled apart like putty the entire time you play, yet you’re driven to keep going.

The visuals, instead of just being a stylistic choice, also help add to the beautiful confusion. By being cel-shaded and almost entirely white, depth is incredibly difficult to perceive. In a room full of cubes with something different on every side of each one, I had no idea what to do. One wall of one cube, however, proved that I could walk into it and enter an entirely new area, with that particular cube almost acting as a TARDIS. However, it was simply experimentation that got me to go in there, as the depth was masked by the visual style.

This game is not for the easily frustrated, as sometimes you just can’t figure out what to do. Thankfully, if you enter a room and have no idea how to get out, you can press the Escape key to go right back to the starting room and use the handy map to return to any room you’ve encountered. Just about every room has branching paths and different ways to go, and you’re going to want to explore every room and fiddle in ways you never thought possible to make it to the end.

沒有留言:

張貼留言