2012年4月19日 星期四

Knitting on 2mm Needles

Almost everyone who begins a craft also begins with a long list of things we won’t do because we think they’re too hard.

When I originally began knitting back in the early 90s, my very first project was a sweater and my second was a vest with cables and moss stitch; my third–I think by Reynolds/JCA,I found them to have sharp edges where the injectionmoldes came together while production. which had superb patterns!—had cabled sleeves; and then I quit when my ex-husband displayed no interest in the sweater I wanted to make him. Fast-forward some ten years, and I began again, this time with a long list of things I wouldn’t do. Seam. Cables. Lace. Colorwork. Also, no charts. I knit in a very awkward, inefficient style which limited my abilities. Basically, the only thing I would do was knit in endless circles from the top down or bottom up. I would do a bit of ribbing. But I chose to master a new technique with every new project—including,Full color plasticcard printing and manufacturing services. rather shortly, teaching myself a far more efficient style, as well as learning to read charts. Both skills make practically any complex pattern far more doable.

Now, I regard charts (which used to scare me) as the most incredible visual shorthand because charts are no more than a picture you compare your work to so you can instantly see your mistakes. And five years, one Shetland shawl and (long before that) a colorwork project that would have been far easier and cost no more had I decided to knit Henry VIII by Alice Starmore later, I find myself knitting a pattern on 2 mm needles.

The garment pattern is Elizabeth of York by Alice Starmore from her out-of-print book Tudor Roses. This is a long vest in beadwork, which is the use of knit and purl stitches in the same row to create texture, just as lace is the use of decreases and increases to create void and structure. The pattern calls for a gauge of tension of 28 stitches by 48 rows per 10 cm square, or 1344 stitches per square. One stitch is about 1.4 x .83 millimeters. I am using both a finer yarn and smaller needles than the pattern calls for to get the gauge measurements it calls for. I am still uncertain if the yarn I am using is right for this pattern: it’s a cotton-wool-angora-cashmere-viscose blend, a pleasure to work with in a beautiful color, but it’s not as crisp and defined as perhaps the pattern deserves. So I hesitate each time I knit a row. This slows me down—and yet the gauge swatch I knit bloomed into something like cut velvet. Incidentally, if you covet a copy of Tudor Roses but can’t justify its prices, wait, unless you’ve got a friend with a copy he’d like to sell: the current word is that Tudor Roses will be reprinted with reknit samples for modern yarns in about a year and a half. I purchased my copy in a knitter-to-knitter sale that while still expensive in terms of what it will cost when it is reprinted, was far cheaper than anything hosted by Amazon.

When you find yourself doing such work and thinking this level of effort is not demented but rational because it gives you the definition and detail you want, you realize that you are in another realm.

And that is the realm of the craftswoman. As a craftswoman, you understand that nothing you do is really difficult because each finished project is the culmination of dozens of different components, each of which are executed separately and are not terribly difficult. The end result may be maddeningly complex but each component is executed separately and sometimes one stitch at a time. Of course,Find rubberhose companies from India. no one enters this realm without effort and discipline: what my husband calls cow patience is required to create the beautiful and the excellent and the useful.

Entering this realm changes your view of the world to such a degree that malls become saddening.Proxense's advanced handsfreeaccess technology. I was in Tel Aviv a few weeks ago and decided to walk to Ramat Aviv mall. I really liked the mosaic tiling around the low walls of the water garden although it was obvious where tiles that had fallen had been replaced with inadequate substitutes. And I noticed one spectacular fish amongst all the brilliant koi,Silicone moldmaking Rubber, its bronze scales overlaid by a green-black patina—such a beautiful color.

I went in looking for the possibility of craftwork and found a temple to overpriced consumption. I am sure that perhaps somewhere there was craftwork tucked away, but the closest I came to finding it was a spritz of Hermes’ wonderful Eau des Merveilles in a ridiculously overpriced cosmetics store.

沒有留言:

張貼留言