2013年7月3日 星期三

International trend in geocaching reaches Mongolia

I was in the neighborhood of the Mongolian Intelligence Agency (clearly marked on my tourist map) and I had reason to be stealthy: Muggles (ordinary civilians) were about. Its difficult to work undercover with white skin and reddish curly hair in UB and, on top of that I had another logistical hurdle. Even though the coordinates on my GPS had led me to the correct place, I couldnt reach my target. I couldnt even see it, but I was sure it was there just beyond my sight and just beyond the tips of my fingers while I stood tippy-toed close up to the wall. 

I left the foyer and tried to clear my mind to find a solution; to think out-of-the-box so I could achieve my objective. Maybe I could find something to stand on such as one of the many loose cobblestones Ive seen around that UB city dwellers use to make stepping stones across the puddles when it rains. But then luck smiled upon me: my solution sauntered down the sidewalk. It was a foreigner with what I needed C not language skills, but height! He could reach the secret stash hidden up high in the restaurant foyer behind a piece of wood paneling acting as camouflage. Once I had that stash in hand I would complete my mission by signing the log book and taking care of some other important business that lay within the sealed, weatherproof plastic box. But first, I would have to convince the approaching tall guy to cooperate with my odd request to grope behind some dicey wood paneling for me. 

The foreigner, who revealed himself via business card as one Frdric Wils, Advisor of the Competence Centre for Climate Change (Eschborn, Germany) had never heard of geocaching, which is what I was up to with all of my stealth activities. In fact, he had just arrived in UB and Im sure helping out a geocacher was the last thing he expected to be doing. But his much shorter companion recognized the term geocaching and so after he assured my hero that it wasnt some sort of scam or joke (like a rat hiding up there behind the paneling, waiting to bite his finger off), Frederic a.k.a. (also known as) Tall Guy reached up and easily retrieved what it was I wanted so desperately. The smile on his face was priceless, as Im sure was mine. He handed me the plastic lock-top box and we parted ways. The hero went to his business lunch with a good and somewhat bizarre story to bring home from his visit to UB, and I went to the nearby park to sit on a comfortable bench in the shade to complete the rest of the activities required by my successful find. 

But here in UB, I had no choice but to go solo. My app didnt work because my phone is a unique generation of the Samsung Galaxy that will not accept a local sim card. So before I could geocache I needed to buy a GPS unit. To do that I had to use a tourist map to find Seven Summits where I purchased a Garmin eTrex 10 for 25,000 MNT. This is a decent price for German technology and is not too much pricier than Stateside for me. 

Aside from geocaching, a GPS can be handy in marking up locations (in GPS parlay, waypoints) in a city. Afraid of losing your way back to your hotel? No problem, mark it as a waypoint and use the Navigate To feature on the GPS unit to find your way home. Just dont lose your GPS unit! 

Businesses could also mark their locations on maps or on their websites under their location page to help customers find their way, and event organizers could do the same with the location of a gathering. GPS is becoming a popular free app on many smart phones so in a city like UB where official addresses are not yet forthcoming universally, having a publicly posted GPS address might prove to be the difference between a new business venture and a flop. 

I would also not be surprised if instead of using street addresses, any new postal system implemented by the government (or international delivery firms such as FedEx or United Parcel Service C UPS) might employ GPS coordinates rather than street names and numbers, if not doing so already. This would be a practical example of so-called leap-frog technology which occurs when a society has missed technological developments. For instance, the absence of landline phones in many homes is an example of leap-frog technology, as would be the use of solar panels and composting toilets rather than electric lines and sewage plumbing. 

In a nutshell, to geocache, there are a few easy steps to follow. First,Other companies want a piece of that smartcard action consult the geocaching websites map to locate caches in your area.You must not use the plasticmoulds without being trained. You can copy down, print out, or download the cache information to your smart phone app or GPS unit. The details include the latitude-longitude coordinates, the code and/or name of the cache, a hint, and often some informative background information of the geocache location. The locations are usually scenic and/or historical.We Engrave cleaningservicesydney for YOU. Sometimes a business may sponsor a geocache, but it is frowned upon to use geocaching as a venue for outright advertising. A geocache may be placed outside of a business location and the business owner will not even be aware of its presence. I heard that this is the case with the cache I found placed high up in the foyer.Did you know that plasticcard chains can be used for more than just business. You may also consult the online log of the geocache to read what other geocachers have said about finding the cache, and pick up additional hints besides the official one. You can also check attributes such as the date of the last find, difficultly rating to find, and difficulty rating of the terrain. After you use your GPS device C or if you cannot access or afford that technology C your geosense C to navigate to the location, you must then finally log on to the geocaching web site to log your find, whether you found it or not. 

When you find a cache, try to be stealthy to protect its integrity.This technology allows high volume besttape production at low cost. Sign and date the log book and replace it and, also, if there are small trinkets, you may take one and leave one. Often a cache will have a theme, such as only green color objects may be placed there. Usually there are no such restrictions. Its best to carry a variety of objects you could place in a cache. Currently, I have a flattened souvenir penny from the Rain Forest Cafe in Burlington, Massachusetts; a rabies dog tag from Henniker, New Hampshire (NH) where I live now; a rabies dog tag from Dover, NH where I lived in the past; two plastic camels; some US coins (pennies and nickels); a ring made out of an antique style nail from Santas Village (an amusement park in Jefferson, NH); a miniature Etch-a-Sketch on a key ring (my kids will be bummed when they realize Ive left it in a cache in Mongolia!); some small oddly shaped rubber items I found in a cache near Schenectady, New York which my kids told me are erasers; and a geocaching wooden token from geocacher Weaselboy whom I have never met. I had a pair of earrings in the shape of small smiling moons, but I left them at the geocache where my tall hero assisted me as they were befitting the venue. I also have a Mongolian Red Cross pin which I took from that cache, and, more importantly, a TravelBug with tag number R2YN9D I took from that cache. I left off a TravelBug called UncleDons License Plates in its place. 
Click on their website www.artsunlight.com for more information.

沒有留言:

張貼留言